The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
To efficiently manage the High Commission’s finances, procurement, estate and security.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
- Lead and develop a busy team to ensure that the High Commission’s resources are efficiently deployed to deliver the British government’s objectives in Botswana, supported by regional finance, procurement and human resources hubs in Pretoria.
- Finance: manage the High Commission’s local budget, ensuring value-for-money and financial compliance.
- Procurement: oversee supplier selection, service level agreements and contract management for goods and services procured by the High Commission.
- Estates: oversee the management of the High Commission’s estate in Botswana, planning routine and non-routine maintenance, and ensuring properties comply with buildings and health and safety standards.
- Human Resources: Work closely with Regional Hub on all aspects of HR management including recruitment, terms and condtions and payroll
- Security: Day to day management of security contract, supported by the Regional Security Manager based in Pretoria
- IT: provide first line support for all IT and telephony issues
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- The jobholder will manage the small Corporate Services team (currently 3 staff) and have oversight of management of the Residence team (currently 2 staff).
- Management of High Commission local budget (FY 16-17 £398,672).
- Minimum undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Previous experience in a relevant area such as office manager or similar
- Excellent budgeting and finance skills
- Proven record in staff management
- Relevant qualification in accountancy, finance, etc.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Gaborone are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Botswana.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Botswana will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.