REF: 1/6/2 VI 28 FEBRUARY 2017
VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 8 OF 2017
VACANCY: DEPUTY REGISTRAR AND MASTER OF THE HIGH COURT OF BOTSWANA (1x GABORONE, 1x FRANCISTOWN).
The Judicial Service Commission invites suitably qualified visionary, self-driven and results oriented Botswana citizens to apply for the post of Deputy Registrar and Master of the High Court, tenable at the Headquarters of the Judiciary in Gaborone.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To plan, manage and coordinate the successful implementation of the mandate of the Administration of Justice including but not limited to the following:
KEY PERFOMANCE AREAS
1. JUDICIAL AND LEGAL ADMINISTRATION
- Performing all the functions of the Registrar and Master as set out under Section 16 – 18, Part III of the High Court Act.
- Perform such duties and exercise jurisdiction in the exercise of the powers of the court as may from time to time be prescribed by the High Court Act or any other written law or as may from time to time be directed either generally or specially by the Chief Justice.
- Coordinate the successful implementation of reforms in the Administration of Justice such as Judicial Case Management, Case Record Management Systems.
- Supervise and manage Court Registries.
- Ensure efficient execution of Court processes by administering the High Court, Court of Appeal, Magistrate’s Court Act and the accompanying Rules and guidelines.
- Exercise the functions of the Master of the High Court by managing the Guardian Fund, Deceased Estates and presiding over Company Liquidations and sequestrations e t c.
- Manage and maintain efficient and effective communication with external stakeholders.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Chief Justice/ Registrar and Master of the High Court.
- Implement applicable Government Policies and other initiatives.
- Facilitate the planning and management of Human Resources, budget, finance, accounts and assets of the Administration of Justice.
- Supervise Magistrates.
- Develop, administer and review sound and effective policies and procedures for the management of the operations of the Judiciary.
- Formulate, implement and monitor sound and effective judicial practices and quality delivery of Justice.
- Facilitates the development, and coordinate implementation of conditions of service for Judges of the High Court, Court of Appeal and Magistrates.
Facilitate the development, monitoring and revision of strategic plans for the Administration of Justice in line with the National Development Plans and Government policies.
- Initiate, plan and monitor staff and organisational performance.
SALARY: F2: (P439, 656 per annum)
LEAVE: 30 working days per annum
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) from University of Botswana
(or other recognised University or Institution.) and ten (10) years post qualification work experience as an Attorney of Advocate admitted to practice in the Courts of the Republic of Botswana or a minimum of sixteen (16) years experience in the field of law two
(2) years of which should have been served as Senior Assistant Registrar at E1 scale or equivalent in the Private or Parastatal sector or at least five (5) years as Chief Magistrate.
- Optional contributory Medical Aid Scheme (Government pays 50% employee pays 50%).
- Contributory Pension Fund Scheme (Government pays 15% employee pays 5%).
- Scarce skill allowance at 35% of basic salary, which is subject to review from time to time.
- Robing allowance at P2, 517.85 per annum. v) Entertainment Allowance.
- Applicants should quote the reference number of this vacancy circular and give the following details:
i. Full names, address, date and place of birth as well as a brief summary of career (C.V). ii. Certified copies of transcripts, Academic and Professional Certificates; National identity card (Omang).
- At least two (2) recent references.
- Date of first appointment, present post, salary scale and date of appointment thereto.
- In case of serving Public officers their applications must be routed through their Heads of department and Permanent Secretaries or Accounting Officer, applications not so routed will not be considered.
Applications should be addressed to –
Registrar & Master of the High Court
Private Bag 00220 Gaborone
or hand delivered at High Court, CBD, 1st Floor, Records Office- Gaborone .
For further information please contact the Judicial Service Commission Secretariat @ Tel: 3915181 or 3718042.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 31st March 2017.