The Southern African Power Pool (SAPP) was created in April 1995 through the SADC treaty to optimise the use of available energy resources amongst the countries in the region and support one another during emergencies. The key objectives being to provide a forum for the development of a world class, robust, safe, efficient, reliable and stable interconnected electrical system in the southern African region as well as to increase power accessibility in rural communities.
The SAPP has a clear vision to ensure that the SADC region is the region of choice for investments by energy intensive users, as well as to ensure sustainable energy development through sound economic, environmental and social practices.
The SAPP is seeking to appoint a SADC National in the position of Coordination Centre Manager who will report to the Coordination Centre Board Chairperson in Harare. Under the Chairperson’s guidance, the Coordination Centre Manager shall manage the operations of the Coordination Centre and interface with SADC, SAPP members and International Stakeholders.
The successful incumbent must display sound leadership abilities as well as experience in general management; financial, HR, operational and Stakeholder relationship management. In addition, your availability to travel within the region is essential to the role.
- Compile a business plan for the SAPP Coordination Center in alignment with overall SAPP strategic direction.
- Compile budget operation for the SAPP Coordination Center in alignment with the business plan.
- Design and propose for approval and implementation, a robust governance framework with policies relating to: appropriate financial controls, delegation of authority for proper decision making, human resource management, and reporting.
- Identify, document and implement business processes for the coordination center.
- Provide strategic and financial guidance to the SAPP Coordination Center staff.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure the sound financial management and control of the SAPP.
- Administer the Coordination Centre accounting structure to include preparation of the Coordination Centre budget.
- Oversee the compilation and dissemination of audited financial statements.
- Perform financial management by ensuring all costs and expenses are within budget.
- Conduct internal audits and ensure corrective action and non-repeats.
Human Resource Management
- Recruit staff to resource the Co-ordination.
- Direct the Chief Engineer, Chief Market Analyst, Senior Transaction Advisor and other staff, as applicable.
- Co-ordinate the training of CC staff and SAPP Members.
- Set annual performance targets and manage performance of all staff.
- Provide secretarial services to include the keeping of minutes and decision register of the SAPP governance bodies such as the Co‑ordination Centre Board, Management Committee and the Executive Committee.
- Represent SAPP at various public forums, as appropriate and pre authorized.
- Be the focal point for SAPP’s interface with SADC, donors, Dfi’s, other power pools in Africa and institutions in Africa.
- Evaluate the impact of future infrastructure projects on the operation of the Pool.
- Identify and obtain funding and support for all the capital projects of the Co-ordination Centre.
- Reports on key performance indicators of the SAPP operations.
- Identify trends and recommend interventions to resolve problems with the Coordination Centre.
- Prepare a summary of the proceedings of the Management Committee and in conjunction with the Management Committee Chairperson refer deadlocked resolutions to the Executive Committee Chairperson.
- Perform relationship management with donors and stakeholders.
- Ensure publication of appropriate monthly reports covering the activities of the SAPP Co‑ordination Centre.
The SAPP is offering a 5 year renewable contract with a market related remuneration package. The position will be based in Harare, Zimbabwe. We have retained AIMS International South Africa to handle all queries and recruitment processes for this vacancy. Please forward your CV and cover letter to Alison@aims-southafrica.com to start a confidential discussion.