Khoemacau Copper (Pty) Ltd is a Botswana registered company that holds the rights to prospecting licences in north-west Botswana. The company comprises two operations, namely the Boseto and Qhoree (Zone 5) operation. To be successful, the company needs suitably qualified people to form part of its team. Currently the company is looking to recruit a Head of Mining who will be based onsite at the operations. The Head of Mining will be responsible for oversite of Mining Operations, the Mining Contractor, Safety, Maintenance, Mining Infrastructure and Mining technical services.
Purpose of the role:
Initially the Head of Mining will lead the finalisation of the project study work and overall mining operational readiness
Once the company commissions its mining operations, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of the underground operation which will be designed to deliver world-class performance in a safe and efficient underground mechanised mine, which is aligned with the company’s strategy.
Particular attention will be required in respect of skills development and skills transfer as well as Health, Safety and Environmental issues.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Conceptualise and implement strategies, systems and processes to ensure the safe and successful execution of the project and operation of the mine, including compliance to all statutory requirements;
- Co-ordinate the transition of the project from a feasibility level project to an execution ready mining project;
- Together with Human Resources, drive the selection and recruitment of team members;
- Assist in the development and execution of staff training plans, and the implementation of the localisation plan;
- Co-ordinate the adjudication and selection of the key mining contracts;
- Develop long and short-term business and mine plans to allow development of mining cost (Capital and Operating) and physical budgets, establishing periodic forecasts and reporting for short-term control and compliance to plans;
- Champion new continuous improvement initiatives and act as the catalyst for change and improvement;
- Constantly improve reporting systems and Key Performance Indicators;
- Monitor performance against budgeted targets ensuring effective cost control; and
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual budget and long term strategies.
Minimum qualifications, experience and skill requirements:
- BE or BSc in Mining Engineering or other relevant technical qualification;
- Mine Manager’s Certificate of competency for metalliferous underground mines;
- Membership of Engineering Registration Board (ERB);
- A post graduate qualification in Business Management or relevant experience would be advantageous;
- Applicants must have a minimum of 15 years technical experience and have worked in underground mechanised operations for a minimum of 10 years with increasing responsibilities;
- Applicants must have a minimum of 10 years management experience in underground metalliferous mines, with experience at General Management level preferred;
- Experience in mining studies, mine construction and development, and management of mining operations and technical functions – within an underground mining environment.
- Proven contract negotiation skills as well as contractor management experience, specific to an underground hardrock mining environment;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with all levels of the organisation;
- A team player and experience in managing a multidisciplinary team; and
- Excellent communication and people skills.
The successful candidate will report to the Managing Director and will be based on site. The incumbent will be required to travel internationally from time to time.
Please note that the company will only enter into correspondence with short listed candidates.
Closing Date: 7th November 2016