To develop and foster a fair, respectful, diverse and high performance culture enabling people to contribute their best as well as to develop, deliver and maintain a business focused employee/industrial relations strategy that meets the needs of Botswana Power Corporation.
Company Policies and Procedures
- Contribute to the strategic development of the Human Resource function by developing a progressive, business focused employee relations strategy that meets the current and future needs of the organization.
- Initiates and recommends IR policies and procedures in accordance with the BPC HR Strategy, national laws and relevant ILO legislation to ensure cordial Industrial relations and compliance with labour legislation
- Interprets BPC policies and procedures to line management and employees to ensure sound Industrial Relations and equitable application of company policies and procedure
- Monitors organisational climate through conducting quarterly climate surveys and site visits to identify areas of potential disputes and grievances, analyses IR trends and recommends proactive solutions to Departmental/Heads and Managers for review and validation
- Advises line management and employees on matters pertaining to labour laws to promote thereto and fair industrial relations practices
- Conducts monthly policy audits to assess consistent application, reports and recommended corrective actions findings to unit Managers
- Maintains a database and schedule of all company policies, provides timely advice to relevant Department Managers as and when policies become due for review, highlights to management areas that need to be amended in alignment with legislative requirements
- Manage the people aspects of any restructures within the organization, including redeployment and redundancy are completed within timescales and budgets. Ensure that the appropriate HR support mechanisms are in place for staff.
- Identify and implement positive employee relations programmes, in consultation with the relevant stakeholder groups, which will lead to a more efficiencies.
Employee Disputes, Grievances and Disciplinary Cases
- Investigates disciplinary cases, grievances and disputes lodged and dispatches relevant correspondence/notifications to affected employees and management
- Provides technical and professional advice to line management and employees during grievance hearings to ensure compliance with labour law, company policies and procedures and fair resolution of grievances
- Records proceedings during internal disciplinary hearings and avails records to all concerned parties within the stipulated time
- Prepares case files for labour disputes and Industrial Court cases, and represents the company to lead evidence when assigned
- Counsels employees to prevent recurrence of transgressions for cordial working relations, documents and files counselling records to facilitate follow ups
- Processes grievances, disciplinary cases and disputes lodged by employees for mediation by Labour Department in accordance with relevant policies and procedures as well as agreed turn around
Union/Management Consultative Negotiation Forums
- Initiates position papers for negotiations and Leads negotiations and consultation with the union on behalf of BPC with a view to achieving positive outcomes and broad agreement to proposals which meet business goals
- Monitors compliance to memorandum of agreement and recommends amendments for discussion between management and the union
- Monitors employment legislation and employment practices and makes recommendations for adoption of best practice where this is appropriate to the business.
Industrial Relations Awareness Training
- Provide responsive and high quality support, training and advice to all parts of the business including senior managers to ensure the appropriate management of all employee relations issues including in particular change management, grievances, poor performance and disciplinary action.
- Liaises with Learning & Development on the identification of training needs and priorities for Industrial Relations training
- Designs, develops and evaluates industrial relations training for managers and supervisors, departmental consultative forums, representatives and shop Stewards
- Conducts Industrial Relations Induction and Refresher Programmes for newly engaged staff members, and existing staff members respectively
- Ensures that all safety and loss control standards (Safety Health and Environmental) contained in the Corporation’s standards are adhered to.
- Undertakes Such Other Related Duties as Directed by the Supervisor
Degree in Social Sciences, Human Resources Management or related field.
- Seven (7) years generalist HR experience.
- In addition to the above, a minimum of two (2) years IR experience at middle management level.
- Extensive experience in labor interface, negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution.
- Legislative competence ( Botswana Labour Law and Regulations)
- Conflict resolution skills
- Negotiating and Mediating skills
- Capacity building skills
- Research Skills
- Policy Development and Review
- Computer literacy
- Planning and Organisation Skills
- Decision Making
- Change Management
- Financial Acumen
- Visionary Leadership
- Creativity and Innovation
- Customer Service Orientation
- Team Leadership and Motivation
- Position Industrial and Employee Relations department as a strategic business partner;
- Ensure compliance with Corporation policies as well as statutory and regulatory instruments
- Ensure a minimum level of I & E R competency in staff and line managers