Based in Gaborone, Botswana
Full Time – Fixed Term Contract for Services. Until March 2019
Salary range: £1,300-1,500 gross per month
The Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) is the UK’s leading democracy-strengthening organisation. We bring together parliamentary and political party expertise to help developing countries and countries transitioning to democracy. WFD is an independent foundation sponsored by the Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) and the Department for International Development (DFID) specialising in parliamentary strengthening and political party development.
Established in 1992, WFD has supported transitions to democracy in central and Eastern Europe, strengthened multi-party democracies in Africa, and extended its work to Asia and Middle East and North Africa in recent years. WFD is now active in more than 25 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.wfd.org.
WFD’s work in Botswana has focused principally on support to the National Assembly. To date, WFD has helped to produce a human resource assessment and clarify resourcing gaps, and is currently supporting the Parliament of Botswana in the development of its new Strategic Plan. Building on this work, the aim is to develop a programme that is effective, efficient, targeted and responsive to the needs of the Parliament and can ensure the Parliament is well equipped to serve its legislative, oversight and representative function to the people of Botswana.
Main Purpose of the Role:
The implementation of the Botswana Programme will be led principally by the Programme Coordinator in Gaborone with the support of WFD’s Africa Team and relevant WFD business units in London. The Programme Coordinator will also have responsibilities for programmes design where necessary.
The Programme Coordinator’s key tasks will be to identify relevant activities that will become part of the programmes implemented by WFD and to contribute in co-ordinating activities with partner and other implementing agencies. The role will also provide administrative and logistical support in organising various events and meetings with relevant Stakeholders. The role will also require preparing and disseminating project documentation, assisting in the preparation of the narrative and financial reports, collecting monitoring and evaluation data and communicating project successes and achievements.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline e.g. International Development, political science, project management or administration
• Significant experience in managing relationships and working with senior stakeholders
• Proven experience in designing and implementing programmes and delivering results. This should include management experience of parliamentary strengthening or related democracy development work
• Excellent English language written and oral communications skills
• A sound understanding of the Botswana parliamentary system and political background
• Proven experience of programme monitoring and evaluation methodologies
• Thorough understanding of financial management, numerical competency; experience of managing budgets and financial transactions
• Significant experience of producing programme reports with analysis and documentation of outcomes and programme learning
• A sound understanding of the United Kingdom parliamentary system and political background
• Proven experience of a similar role, in a similar type of organisation (preferably an NGO, public sector or international representative office environment)
This is a locally based field role and therefore the successful candidate must have eligibility to work in the relevant location.
The appointment will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
Please note this statement is for information only and does not form part of a contract.
All applicants must submit a completed application form to email@example.com by 23:59 (GMT) 6th April 2017 to be considered for this role. For more information, please download the job description and candidate guidance notes.
Please note: Due to the volume of application we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.