Khoemacau Copper (Pty) Ltd is a Botswana registered company that holds the rights to prospecting licences in North West Botswana. The company comprises two operations, namely the Boseto operation and the Qhoree (Zone 5) operation. To be successful, the company needs suitably qualified people to form part of its team. Currently the company is looking to recruit a underground mechanised Mining Contracts Manager .
Purpose of the role:
The Mining Contracts Manager is key to ensuring the safe, efficient and cost controlled execution of the mine plan by the Mining Contractor to the specified contract standards, mining schedules and best practice mining systems. The incumbent must bring extensive underground mechanised mining experience as both a mining contractor and more recently as an owner’s team member, in leading and managing greenfields and brownfields underground mining development and construction projects, as well as proven management performance in mining production activities (Sub Level Open Stoping operations).
Key areas of responsibility:
- Provide support to Head of Mining and the Mining Department team in developing an achievable mining project execution plan for the development of the Zone 5 underground mine, then executing a suitable operational readiness program for transition to production;
- Introduce effective and fit for purpose management systems, mining procedures and systems of work to ensure standards and performance of the underground mine are safe, efficient and productive in line with international best practice;
- Management and co-ordination of site establishment of an underground mining contractor, underground equipment specifications and selection, underground construction and project work, timely completion of project development and transition to steady state production mining activities (as an Open Stoping mining operation);
- Performance management of a mining contractor from daily operations through to periodic planning and forecasting (weekly, quarterly and annual), cost control, commercial contract management and reporting as required by company standards;
- Integrate and support cross functional mining work streams of Mining Operations, Mining Technical, Mining Geology and Mining Maintenance. Further to provide experience and guidance to the team in dealing with general surface support services and downstream processes from the mine to improve overall effectiveness of the operation;
- Apply experience in support of underground site specific equipment specifications and selection, engagement with key suppliers to ensure required standards and specifications for underground hard rock mines are achieved;
- Responsible for the implementation of a fit for purpose contractor management system. Identify, manage and address any issues of non-performance or non-compliance with the mining contractor;
- Manage and co-ordinate the mining contractor and owner’s team to ensure that all requirements are met and satisfied as they relate to Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Ensure a proactive safety culture that supports high quality investigations of all incidents to ensure learning and advancement;
- Actively monitor the mining contractors’ performance against established training commitments and skills transfer targets, ensuring adherence to the localisation plan for identified roles;
- Provide support and guidance to develop needed skills and training for the site Mine Rescue team, ensuring the requisite skills, training and equipment is provided to ensure readiness in the event of any adverse occurrence in the Underground Mining environment;
- Engage and support the mobile maintenance function and general site services to ensure high standards are set and effective work management systems are applied and followed, ensuring the mining department provides a high reliability, high availability working environment;
- Identify ongoing initiatives to ensure Continuous Improvement of performance in the mine as relates to safety, productivity, standards, cost and general exposure to risks; and
- Ensure execution of the mining work program by the contractor and ensure compliance to applicable Botswana Regulations and Laws.
Minimum qualifications, experience and skill requirements:
- Extensive experience in underground mechanised hardrock mining, having worked in key leadership, management or advisory roles for both an underground mining contractor and mine owner (practical experience essential with mechanised mining equipment fleet, twin boom Jumbos, Production Drill Rigs, Stope Blasting methods);
- Proven performance leading, managing, coaching and mentoring professional and operation staff in challenging working environments, with prior experience in major mining jurisdictions;
- Applicants must have a minimum of 20 years underground hardrock mechanised mining experience, preferably with experience as an equipment operator, operational Supervisor and Manager (degree qualification not required, specified experience essential);
- A proven track record of effectively managing a mining contractor in a productive, safe and efficient underground mechanised mining environment (Sub level open stoping);
- Leadership, Management and Business acumen experience in the Underground Mining sector;
- Valid drivers licence;
- Excellent stakeholder management capability;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with all levels of the organisation;
- A team player;
- Excellent organizational skills; and
- Ability to work under pressure.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Mining and will be based on site.
Requirements: Bachelor of Engineering (Metallurgy, Chemical, Mineral Processing) 3-5 years’ experience as an Metallurgist in the field of mineral processing Plant operation experience (crushing, milling, flotation, concentrate dewatering and tailings disposal) Detailed knowledge of Mineralogy and its effects on plant performance Project Management & Leadership experience High level of computer literacy and problem solving skills Demonstrated statistical and data analysis skills of plant data Process understanding & logical thinking Good Business acumen and interpersonal skills Excellent written and verbal communication