UNIVERSITY OF BOTSWANA
VACANCY NO. DVC 1/2016: DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (RESEARCH AND INNOVATION)
The Council of the University of Botswana invites applications for the post of Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research & Innovation).
The University of Botswana was established in 1982 as the first University in Botswana. It has a complement of 1,319 academic staff and 1,427 support staff 15,671 full-time students and 2,505 part-time students. It is a comprehensive university that includes the Faculties of Business, Education, Engineering and Technology, Health Sciences, Medicine, Humanities, Social Sciences, Science; a School of Graduate Studies; a Centre for Continuing Education; a Centre for Academic Development; a Directorate of Research and Development; and the Okavango Research Institute. In addition, a number of institutions are affiliated to the University. These include six Colleges of Education and eight Institutes of Health Sciences, and the Botswana University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (BUAN).
Purpose of the job
The Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC) for Research & Innovation is a member of the University Executive Management Team (EMT), who shares responsibility for strategic and operational planning, implementation and evaluation across the institution. He or she is responsible for strategic leadership in all aspects of the University’s research mission including the University libraries, postgraduate education, research grants, research contracts, consultancies, research centers, research institutes, patents, intellectual property and commercialization.
The DVC (Research & Innovation) provides leadership for growing the University’s research enterprise, and has oversight for research and scholarly work across the University, guiding new research initiatives and advancing research collaborations and partnerships. The DVC will promote training in writing proposals for funding, securing funding for research, ensuring compliance with all policies, procedures and guidelines related to research activities, and obtaining the necessary infrastructure, facilities and equipment for supporting the University’s research effort.
Key Performance Areas
1. Development and implementation of research and innovation policies and strategies.
2. Securing funding for research; building national and international linkages and partnerships.
3. Maintain and advance the University’s research profile and quality of post graduate research.
4. Provide leadership in developing strategic plans and in managing research centres and institutes.
5. Monitoring and evaluation of research performance.
§ Research Scholarship
§ Strategic thinking and leadership
§ Innovative and entrepreneurial skills
§ Negotiations skills
§ Effective Networking
§ Research grant proposal writing
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
· A doctorate from an internationally recognized university.
· An excellent record of scholarship, teaching and service.
· Experience in University management for a minimum of five (5) years.
· Rank of Associate Professor.
· Evidence of effective innovative management and involvement in strategic planning, research planning and budgeting in a University;
· Evidence of innovative research grant proposal writing, research programme coordination, supervision of research projects and knowledge of university ranking systems;
· Experience with strategies of internationalisation of research programmes and projects.
The successful candidate should be prepared to assume office at the latest 1st September 2017.
Duration of the Contract
The initial contract shall be for a term not exceeding five (5) years, which may be renewed by the University Council for another term not exceeding five (5) years.
Salary and Benefits
The remuneration package for the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research and Innovation) includes a competitive salary and other benefits commensurate with the position.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and an up to date Curriculum Vitae, as well as evidence of academic qualifications, official copies of transcripts and three references (including one from the current employer or immediate supervisor). Candidates should also submit, together with their applications, a brief and concise statement detailing their achievements and their vision for the University of Botswana. Applications should quote the vacancy number, and be addressed to:
Secretary to Council
University of Botswana
Private Bag 0022
Enquiries must be directed to the Office of Secretary to Council by fax to No. (267) 397 4951 or telephone (267) 355 2154/355 2998 or email to Tshegofatso.email@example.com (with the subject; enquiry DVC Research and Innovation). Applicants should inform their referees to submit their references directly to the University of Botswana at the above address (with the subject; REF: Name of the applicant/DVC-Research and Innovation) before the closing date.
Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Secretary to Council at Block 108 – Room 007, University of Botswana Administration building, corner of Notwane and Mobuto road, Gaborone, Botswana.
CLOSING DATE: 31ST JANUARY 2017