PRESS RELEASE: 2016 BGCSE RESULTS RELEASED
Botswana Examinations Council (BEC) has released the 2016 Botswana General Certificate for Secondary Education (BGCSE) examination results.
A total of 35 465 candidates wrote the 2016 examination showing a decrease in candidature of 8.6% compared to 2015 cohort of 38 796.
There were 15 148 (42.7%) male candidates and 20 317 (57.3%) female candidates sitting for the 2016 BGCSE Examination.
The BGCSE examination registered 25 016 (70.5%) candidates from government and government-aided schools compared to 25 640 (66.1%) in 2015 and 10 449 (29.5%) private candidates compared to 13 156 (33.9%) in 2015.
The private candidates category included 3 645 (10.4%) Back-to-School candidates, 3 019 (8.5%) individual private candidates and 3 785 (10.7%) candidates from private schools.
Since the BGCSE is a subject-based qualification with no aggregation, the measure used to gauge the performance of candidates is the proportion of candidates who were awarded Grade C or better in 5 syllabi.
This year 6 368 (25.5%) candidates from government and government-aided schools were awarded Grade C or better in 5 syllabi compared to 6 291 (24.5%) in 2015. This shows a slight increase of 0.92%.
Symbols used in the Results
• U denotes that a candidate failed to meet minimum requirements for Grade G.
• X denotes that a candidate failed to meet the requirements for the award of a syllabus grade.
The distribution of the results will be done as follows:
1. Individual Candidates: Candidates will be able to access the results through the BEC Website as well as through SMS.
2. Distribution to centres: Centres will also be granted access to view and print the results reports through the Malepa application.
3. Distribution to Regional Offices: The Regional and Sub-Regional Heads will also be able to access the results through Malepa.
Candidates are informed that Statement of Results can be collected at designated locations across the country from 20th February to 3rd March, 2017 during working hours as follows:
1. All government and private school candidates should collect their Statements of Results from their respective schools as these will be printed by individual schools.
2. All individual private candidates should collect their
Statements of Results from the following locations:
Plot 54864, KT Motsete Rd, Private Bag 0070, Gaborone Tel: +267 365 0700, Fax: +267 318 5011
Powered by Jobs Botswana