ACHAP (www.achap.org) has retained SRI Executive Search (www.sri-executive.com ) to assist with their search for a suitably qualified, highly motivated and exceptional candidate to fill the position of the Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to the Board, the CEO will guide ACHAP’s strategic and operational engagement.
ACHAP was established as a public-private community development partnership in 2000 to enhance and support Botswana’s HIV & AIDS response. Using a comprehensive approach, ACHAP has successfully supported HIV prevention, care and treatment in Botswana for more than 15 years with remarkable results. Key to the success of ACHAP support has been the focus on results, the ability to develop and manage partnerships with government, civil society, other development partners and the private sector.
ACHAP has transitioned from a Public Private Partnership to a self-sustaining independent NGO. In 2013 a revised strategy paved the way for ACHAP to expand its geographical reach to health focused activities throughout Africa and develop a consulting unit and a training and capacity building unit. ACHAP has considerable infrastructure and management capacity. ACHAP has strong governance and management systems which include; a diverse and active Board of Directors with separate Board of Trustees, an experienced finance team, a strong management team an internal audit function and annual external audits. ACHAP’s Board of Directors provides oversight, strategic guidance and technical expertise through twice yearly board meetings and regular board committee meetings.
ACHAP’s main strengths include flexibility and innovation in programme design and implementation, evidence based programming, and commitment to culturally relevant approaches. ACHAP prides itself as a health development organization. ACHAP is now an independent non-profit making corporation entity with broader health mandate, wider geographical focus continuing to build on, and leverage on her core competencies in the field of HIV/AIDS and related health conditions.
To be the leading innovator for promoting a healthy Africa.
To provide comprehensive, innovative and catalytic solutions through Public Private Community Partnerships (PPCP) to achieve sustainable population health.
Chief Executive Officer
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for leading the organization in maintaining excellence, growth and long-term sustainability; a strategic leader with business acumen, someone who is able to direct the overall operations and ACHAP’s resources, make major corporate decisions and act as the main point of communication between the Board of Directors and the organisation as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Develop partnerships, fundraise and attract resources to support the work of ACHAP.
- Development and review of ACHAP strategic plans including exploring new and expanded initiatives for long term sustainability of ACHAP;
- Develop institutional strategic plans, policies and systems and processes;
- Oversees the effective management of the organization’s Programmes, Monitoring & Evaluation and Research, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, Finance as well as Human Resources and Administration;
- Oversees the development of strategies for resource development, including identification of funding prospects, grant shaping, and collaboration with the foundation and stake holders;
- Develops the institutional capacity of all the organisation’s functions and nurture a high-performance culture;
- Leads operational planning of the technical departments;
- Ensures that appropriate organisational structures and supporting systems are in place;
- Oversees the development and implementation of the annual work plans;
- Oversees the monitoring of the annual budget and ensures expenditure is in line with budget;
- Oversees the review and evaluation of programme activities ensuring that continuing contractual obligations are being fulfilled and allocates resources for greater programme effectiveness as necessary;
- Oversees the implementation of an effective communications and advocacy strategy for ACHAP;
- Serves as the primary spokesperson and representative for the organization and actively advocates for the organization, its beliefs, and its programmatic efforts;
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with governmental agencies regarding technical and programmatic initiatives, both at the district and national level;
- Develops and sustains positive and productive external relationships with key stakeholders and other constituencies;
- Oversees people management and ensures a high-performance culture;
- Attends meetings of the Board of Directors; and
- Performs any other duties as directed by the Board of Directors.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will hold a Doctoral level studies in public health or social sciences, and/or Masters level training in Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Health or equivalent. PhD in the above areas or equivalent is an advantage.
- Eight to ten years as Chief Executive or Country Director of a recognized, high performing organization preferably addressing issues of public health or other related issues.
- An established record of innovation in disease prevention and treatment programs as a commitment to public health and/or reversing the HIV / AIDS epidemic in Africa.
- In depth knowledge of the complexities and challenges of HIV control in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ability to motivate the highly skilled professionals within the team and maintain a clear sense of priorities.
- Understands the current and future challenges within the sector and the region in preparation for future strategies.
- With proven entrepreneurial approach that helped develop, implement and adapt a new strategy into a meaningful contribution towards the HIV/AIDS/TB or other health response for Africa.
- Liaised effectively with government, development, civil society and private sector organizations and to forge effective collaboration in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Must have well-established relationships with the leading funding and service agencies active in HIV/AIDS/TB and health sub-Saharan Africa.
- Exceptional financial management skills.
- Proficiency in the English language.
- Capacity to fundraise, attract or mobilise resources effectively.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted initially for three years, with the option to renew on mutually agreed terms. Salary is internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Gratuity, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Nicola Seery at email@example.com on or before 9thOctober 2017. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.