Inspired Horizons is a non-governmental, non-profit making youth organisation that aims to change the narrative of academic excellence and promote quality education in Botswana. The organisation’s mandate shares a core interest in line with both Botswana’s Vision 2016 pillar of ‘An educated, informed nation and the Sustainable Development Goal of ‘Quality Education’.
Mission: To actively promote a mindset-change in how society views academic excellence, and encourage the recognition of well-rounded and passionate young leaders.
Vision: To achieve a Botswana that systematically, institutionally and ideationally recognizes a new narrative of academic excellence, worthy of being nurtured and celebrated.
The Communications Officer plays an integral role in promoting Inspired Horizons Association. The Communications Officer will develop a strategic communications plan for the organization, and s/he will lead and participate in the execution of that plan.
Essential Job Functions
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
• Develop and implement an integrated, organization¬-wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness and strengthen IHA’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences
• Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow IHA executive and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high ¬level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers
• Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the sector and organization. Work with the board and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
• Build and manage the board Public Awareness committee
• Oversee the continued development and use of the IHA brand
• Oversee, or execute as needed, all copy intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan
• Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of all print and branded materials
• Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of electronic communications, including IHA’s website, bi¬weekly electronic newsletter and other electronic communications
• Curate content and increase audience engagement on IHA’s social media channels
• Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
• Serve as lead point person on media interactions with Executive Director that help promote and/or impact the organization and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as IHA’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
• Manage relationships with any communications ¬related vendors or consultants
• Recruit and manage a communications support team, relying exclusively on board, intern and volunteer talent, to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
• Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
• Must be a Motswana citizen.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Media Studies, Communications, IT, or a related field of study
• 2+ years experience in a communications role
• Experience managing and executing across several communications media
• Strong written communication skills, required
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
• Experience with Adode Creative Suite, preferred
• Experience with WordPress and/or HTML, preferred
• Willing to execute day¬-to-¬day tasks and work independently
• Capable leader, manager and coach for board, intern or volunteer talent
• Willingness to share own ideas, even amongst senior staff and board members
• Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
Submit your CV and a short cover e-mail outlining your suitability for the role:
Date: Apply as soon as possible.
For more questions get in touch with:
Executive Director: Kennedy Letlhogela; or send an email to email@example.com.