Inspired Horizons is a non-governmental, non-profit making youth organisation that aims to change the narrative of academic excellence and promote quality education in Botswana. The organisation’s mandate shares a core interest in line with both Botswana’s Vision 2016 pillar of ‘An educated, informed nation and the Sustainable Development Goal of ‘Quality Education’.
Mission: To actively promote a mindset-change in how society views academic excellence, and encourage the recognition of well-rounded and passionate young leaders.
Vision: To achieve a Botswana that systematically, institutionally and ideationally recognizes a new narrative of academic excellence, worthy of being nurtured and celebrated.
The Development Officer is part of a high-functioning nonprofit dedicated to maintaining the vibrancy, health, and prosperity of Inspired Horizons Association. As part of the team, the Development Officer is responsible for managing a portfolio of institutional and individual donor fundraising activities, including grant writing and reporting, producing Letters of Interest (LOIs), soliciting sponsorships, producing appeals and campaigns, and managing events. The Development Officer is a strong project manager, writer, relationship builder, and strategic thinker who is passionate about IHA’s mission. This position is supported by a strong development team and able to work and learn from seasoned professionals in the nonprofit field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Research and identify corporations, foundations and government funding opportunities
• Prepare funding proposals for government, corporate and foundation grants, including coordinating proposal components with evaluation, programs and finance departments
• Identify new local and national foundation prospects and engage them
• Attend meetings with the Executive Director and liaise with corporate, foundation and government partners and internally with other IHA Departments.
• Lead IHA’s individual donor program, including producing appeals, and leading the groups of fundraising volunteer
• Lead IHA’s donor communications work, including producing donor newsletters and social media campaigns in collaboration with the Communications Department
• Plan & coordinate IHA’s fundraisers (with the Executive Team), including small events and the annual gala.
• In-depth collaboration with IHA’s programs and work teams
• Contribute to overall fundraising objectives
• Work closely with Director of Development and Management Team to execute strategic plans in order to meet goals and build long-term financial sustainability
• Must be a Motswana citizen.
• Bachelor’s degree required in International Development, Social Entrepreneurship, Education, or a related field of study; Master’s an added advantage.
• At least two years of work experience in direct fundraising for a non-profit organization with measurable goals
• Ability to develop and execute complex presentations (philanthropy and cause marketing) based on information gathered from multiple sources
• Ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information
• Strong networking skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise and build relationships with diverse stakeholder groups
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working to meet multiple deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential, both written and oral
• Knowledge of community development, education, and/or other core areas of IHA’s work is a significant plus
• Ability to work both independently and also as a team player
• Strong organization and time management skills
Submit your CV and a short cover e-mail outlining your suitability for the role:
Date: Rolling Basis, so apply as soon as possible.
For more questions get in touch with:
Executive Director: Kennedy Letlhogela; or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.