BGI was established through Botswana Geoscience Institute Act 2014 to undertake research in the field of Geosciences and providing specialised geoscientific services, being the custodian of geoscience information; promoting the search for, and exploration of any mineral in Botswana, and to act as an advisory body in respect of geosciences and geohazards.
Reporting to the CEO, The Director of Information Delivery provides overall leadership in the capture, maintenance, efficient and reliable delivery of all relevant information to BGI by way of a functional Information System. This will include the management of National Integrated Geoscientific Information Systems (NIGIS) , the library, all reports (prospecting, commercial, research/scientific, maps, explanations, bulletins and memoirs), core library, museum and education center, and a modern, fast and reliable IT infrastructure for BGI. The Director of Information Delivery will also lead public outreach programs. To provide leadership, integrative management, and direction for the institute shared information systems, to include institute-wide strategic planning, budgeting for information technologies, and coordination and integration of all BGI IT matters.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Minimum of 10 years post qualification experience in managing information systems
- 5 years should have been at senior management level
- Expert knowledge and understanding of archiving strategies, policies, processes, procedures and systems
- expert understanding of the management, safe delivery and publication of geoscientific data and information
- Advanced working understanding of the information technology environment of a geoscientific research institute.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Organizational planning and development skills.
- Knowledge of current trends and developments in information technology and systems.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems or related qualification. A Master’s Degree in any of the above will be an added advantage
- Strong communication
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Advanced IT skills
- Excellent statistical analysis
- Project management
- Strong leadership and people skills
- Diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities
- Commercial influence
- Strategic thinking
- Change and innovation drive
BGI offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with the position. The package includes medical aid, gratuity, group life cover and other benefits.