Farm Production Manager
Agriculture/Forestry, Botswana Gaborone
Our client grows and supplies a diverse selection of quality vegetables from open fields and tunnels . They are based in Francistown, North East of Botswana.
- Overseeing all farming activities from land preparation to harvesting.
- Managing production of crops on the open field and greenhouse tunnels.
- Maintaining and monitoring the quality of yield.
- Manages all the activities in the nursery for seedlings production.
- Develops, implements and monitors fertilizers and chemicals spraying programs.
- Organize and supervise chemical and fertilizer applications, weeding, crop protection and yields enhancements programs.
- Maintaining a knowledge of pests and diseases and an understanding of how they spread and how to treat and mitigate them.
- Understanding the implications of the weather and making contingency plans.
- Maximize crop yields and performance in balance with ensuring optimal management on daily basis.
- Advise on best farming techniques to be deployed given resources available from time to time.
- Ensures, when packaging processed fruit and vegetables, correct weight, code dating and seal integrity procedures are adhered to.
- Implementation of stock control systems to be deployed on a daily basis and production of stock reports on a monthly basis.
- Planning production to maintain farm progress against budget parameters.
- Implementation of the crop plan as per company’s budget, monitors inputs usage for cost control purposes.
- Perform cost and sensitivity analysis on input costs
- Develops and implements the company’s production standard operating procedures.
- Implementation of all the good farming practices to achieve high production yield.
- Recommendation to the board on what varieties of crops, fertilizers and pesticides/chemicals to use on the farm to
- produce the best quality product
- Develop a training and mentorship program for assistants and supervisors on various key areas of production in a form of skills and knowledge transfer.
- Ensuring current government regulations concerning farm activities are complied with, applying health and safety standards across the farm.
- Managing the activities of the pack-house and maintains safety awareness in the production areas and pack-house.
- Making sure products are ready for deliveries to customers.
- Production of management report for the board on a monthly basis.
- Interact with the Facilities Manager on issues that may hinder flow of activities on the farm
- Interact with the board on key issues that may arise and execute the instructions of the board from time to time.
Technical skills / competencies:
- Knowledge in operating and maintaining vegetable processing lines in a packhouse
- Capable of repairing farming equipment
- High level understanding of irrigation systems i.e. drip, overhead
- Ability to understand and interpret water and soil tests
- Above average crop yield achievements
- Knowledge of cooling systems for green house tunnels and produce storage
Knowledge and expertise:
- Demonstrated experience in growing greenhouse tomatoes on a large scale
- Demonstrated experience in producing seedlings.
- Demonstrated experience in growing onions, beetroot, butternut, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce.
- Demonstrated planning and organisational skills to achieve targets.
Experience, qualifications and other requirements specific to the role:
- Diploma in Agriculture
- 5-7 years’ experience in crop production
- Vallid driver’s license
- Agricultural science/management Bachelor’s Degree