Friday, August 19, 2016
31 Aug 2016 15:42
General Manager – Northern Botswana – Large Safari Company.
My Client a Botswana based company’s with it head office is in Northern Botswana and which is entirely citizen owned – has been operating camps in Botswana for nearly 20 years, and currently has six camps in a variety of locations, but is expected to grow in the near future. Two of the camps are located in the extreme north of Botswana, on a private concession measuring over 232,000 hectares. Two camps are in the Okavango Delta, again in a large private concession. One camp is in the CKGR, a few hours drive from Deception Valley, and one camp is in the Nxai Pan National Park – the only operator in this park. As such, the company has a very diverse range of environments that they operate in, with all the associated logistical challenges. The four northern camps have a high occupancy throughout the year, where as the two desert camps are more seasonal. Five camps accommodate 16 – 18 guests, and one camp takes a maximum of 10.
Important to Note: The GM reports to the Company – CEO. The Marketing and finance function also report directly to the CEO and are therefore outside of the responsibilities of the GM.
- Between BWP 40000 – 45000 depending on experience.
- Live out
- standard Expat benifits will be discussed in interview
- Rotational Leave cycle
- camp management in remote location
- concession management or general management of more than one property
- guiding experience and/or field experience
- proven capability to mentor and develop people at all levels of education (or lack there of)
- willingness to step in and fill any given position in a crisis (from dishwasher to guide)
- calm, patient and a good sense of humour
- is not fazed by a company that runs all its camps without computers!
- Maintenance background/knowledge essential
- Strong financial skills, used to setting and performing to budget
- Polished in both appearance and conduct.
- Grade 12 (matric)
- Formal Tertiary qualification Diploma or Degree ( for work permit ) – Essential
- Btech Nature conservation
- Bcomm Tourism / Hospitality Management
- FGASA level 1 ( level 2 would be preferred )
- Minimum of 5 yrs working experience in Camp/ Lodge Management
- Management and Training of Lodge staff in Front Office, Food and Beverage, Guiding (FGASA), Housekeeping, 4×4 Driving, mechanical and technical applications
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Administrative skills
- Computer literate on MS Office suite
- Effective financial management skills
- Previous experience in HR Management, F & B, housekeeping, maintenance
- General Marketing knowledge
- Broad mechanical and technical skills for all types of vehicles, building design and construction capabilities, plumbing, refrigeration, gas, solar and generator installation knowledge
- Be able to live with limited ( solar ) or no electricity
- Conversational ability in foreign languages added advantage.
- Familiarity with Botswana and general Labour Regulations would be favourable
- Unendorsed drivers licence with PDP