Statistics Botswana is a Parastatal Organisation established under the Statistics Act of 2009.
The role of Statistics Botswana is multi – faceted and, as the pre – eminent agency responsible for the development and management of official statistics, its duties include but are not limited to;-
The collection, processing, analysing, publishing and dissemination of official statistics in areas such as, commercial and industrial activities, agriculture, social, economic, environmental, energy, communications and household conditions.
Statistics Botswana is now seeking to recruit highly motivated, innovated, and experienced professional to fill the following position;
REF 6/2017- GIS/ MAPPING SPECIALIST, 2(TWO) YEAR FIXED CONTRACT (10 POSTS)
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
– Assist Senior Statistician to plan, implement, guide, supervise, analyse and produce statistical reports of the production and maintenance of sampling frames and maps for GIS data, census and household surveys.
– Prepare up to date enumeration area maps and manage data are geographically referenced.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Assistance with the scope of mapping/GIS activities for the pre-enumeration, enumeration and post-enumeration phases and devise progressive work plan;
– Advise on the acquisition of satellite imagery and data-sets from different sources;
– Collect geographical Information system coordinates using methods such as GPS, satellite imagery and surveying mapping.
– Assist with data conversion, including digitizing, scanning, editing and integration of GPS-derived field maps.
– Participate in geo-database design and initiate quality control measures to ensure the databases confirm to defined accuracy standards. Ensure that quality Assurance/ Quality control procedures are established and understood by members of the organization.
– Participate on the management and geographic analysis of the census data and the preparation of publication maps and graphs , and devise a plan for the dissemination of geographic Census Databases;
– Ensure that geo-spatial data used is current, consistent and accurate, and advise on the long-term operation of the census geo-databases;
– Participate in the systematic geo-coding, reproduction and archiving of census EA maps, and ensure that the Census geo-databases produces analytical procedure.
– Produce accurate and complete and complete Enumeration Area maps for censuses and surveys, ad keep the maps upto date.
– Prepare and submit monthly progress reports on the cartographic/GIS activities
– Undertake any other duties relevant to the organization
– Degree in Cartography, Geo-Informatics/ GIS from a recognised institution, or relevant combination of education.
– Knowledge of automated cartography, census mapping using GPS, mobile mapping systems and geo-database modelling.
– Knowledge in the use of ArcGIS Software, ArcPad, MS Project and MS Office Software.
– Fluent spoken and written English is essential.
– No experience is required
– Values: Exemplifying integrity, both, confidentiality, transparency and demonstrating commitment to one’s work.
– Core competencies: result driven, accountability, being able to work in teams
– Job Knowledge/Experience
Statistics Botswana offers an attractive and competitive package.
CLOSING DATE: 27 November 2017
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Prospective candidates meeting the above requirements should quote the reference number of the position and submit applications together with comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of Certificates, ID and names and addresses of two referees to:
Private Bag 0024
Or hand deliver to;
Corporate Services – 4th Floor
Or email to; email@example.com