VACANCY CIRCULAR NO. 1 of 2016
VACANCY: CHIEF GEOLOGIST -100400037.1.1 (1 Post)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates, (preferably citizens of the Republic of Botswana) for the above post at the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Mineral Resources, Green Technology and Energy Security, Department of Mines tenable at Gaborone.
The Department of Mines exists to license and monitor mining operations, ensure their compliance with the environment, health and safety standards and administer related Acts and Regulations.
Salary Scale: D1 (P274, 464 – P303, 012)
Leave: 30 working days per annum.
Benefits: 1. Optional contributory medical aid scheme (Government pays 50% and employee pays 50%)
2. Contributory pension scheme for permanent and pensionable appointments. (Government pays 15% and employee pays 5%) 3. Attraction and retention scarce skill allowance (30% of basic salary, subject to terms and conditions applicable to Government terms of employment)
Degree in geology or any related field. MSc in Geology/related field will be an added advantage.
Twelve (12) years’ experience in the minerals prospecting or related field.
Main Purpose of the job:
The primary purpose of this job is to coordinate the processing of applications for prospecting licenses and monitor operations of same to ensure compliance with mineral legislation, standards, and programme.
Core Areas of responsibilities:
• Coordinates the processing of applications for prospecting. Provides information to customers.
• Coordinates inspections and audits of prospecting operations for adherence to legislation and procedures.
• Addresses stakeholders on issues of prospecting Drives the implementation of the strategies to curb illegal mining.
• Coordinates production of reports, analyse findings and recommendations Assist in the formulation and development of strategies for optimal and sustainable use of Mining resources.
• Coordinates quarterly reports against approved prospecting programmes for improvements.
• Develops guidelines for prospecting license applications, processing and reporting.
• Prepares drafts for incorporation into polices and guidelines reviews.
• Monitors preparation of quarterly and annual reports on prospecting activities
• Coordinates the processing of applications for permission to export minerals samples from prospecting.
• Analytical and Strategic planning
• Communicating Effectively
• Delivering Quality Service
• Team work and Interpersonal skills
• Planning & Execution
• Quality decision making
• Integrity and trust
Interested candidates are required to quote the vacancy circular provided in their applications and provide the following;
a) Curriculum Vitae with brief summary of their careers and duties.
b) Certified copies of certificates, three traceable references and national identity cards.
c) In case of serving Public Officers,
i) Date of first appointment.
ii) Present post and date of appointment thereto.
Applications should be addressed to:
Department of Mines
Private Bag 0049
No later than the 13 January 2017
NB: Applications from serving officers should be routed through their Heads of Departments and Permanent Secretaries. Applications not so routed will be not considered.
For more information contact the Department of Mines at
Powered by Jobs Botswana