University of Maryland Baltimore in Botswana is advertising for the following position to support its work in the country and invites all qualified staff to apply:
Position: Human Resources/Administration Specialist
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Location: This position is based in Gaborone, Botswana.
The Human Resources/Administration Specialist will be responsible for all HR matters on the project, including Recruitment & Selection, on-boarding, Performance Management, benefits, Compliance, Employee relations, off-boarding etc. The position will also render support in administration/operations by supervising staff; planning, organizing, and implementing administrative/operational systems.
1. HR Functions
- Oversee the day-to-day management of all project personnel matters, ensuring that the offices function according to BUMMHI’s HR policies and procedures, CDC regulations and Botswana laws, regulations and practices. S/he will work with external and internal auditors in conducting HR file audits and practices of all project offices and inform the DFA of any problems or issues arising in this regard;
- Oversee and participate in, as appropriate, the employee lifecycle, including recruitment (advertisements and interviews), new hire orientation, performance evaluation, and departures;
- Coordinate the hiring process including the development of position descriptions, advertisements, review of CVs, short listing candidates, scheduling interviews, evaluation of candidates, tendering employment offers, negotiation of salaries, and executing employment agreements both for long term and short term employees;
- Administer employee benefits, including enrolment, participant maintenance, and invoicing/billing. Handle all employee queries;
- Orient and on-board employees so they can quickly focus on project objectives;
- Provide orientation sessions to staff regarding their employment benefits, corporate policies, and workplace practices;
- Development and maintenance of a clear filing, archiving and retrieval system for all HR and administration documents, in electronic and hard copy formats, in accordance with BUMMHI filing protocols. This will include ensuring all employee files are fully up-to-date at all times;
- Oversee staff trainings and skills development to ensure optimum productivity and efficiency in performance of their duties;
- Be the first point of contact for all matters relating to travel permits and visa requirements for field team and visitors, technical agreements and any other HR administration and liaison matters that are required of an international NGO operating in Botswana;
- Provide overview of BUMMHI’s business conduct and performance expectations, and explain how they are applied, impact, and protect each employee;
- Implement local policy manual, and ensure that each employee is briefed on and understands the project policies;
- Review with senior project staff employment practice fundamentals and provide them with information, tools, and resources for handling employment issues;
- Coordinate annual employee performance evaluations;
- Coordinate and oversee the off-boarding processes for exiting staff members.
- Ensure that all aspects of Human Resources management conform to BUMMHI’s policies and best practices, CDC rules and regulations, and the laws of Botswana;
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor that are consistent with the HR Specialist’s skills and experience and this Scope of Work.
2. Administration Functions – to be carried in liaison with DFA and Program Management/ Logistics & Procurement Officer includes;
- Inventory Management: Oversee management of all project assets, including: Developing and maintaining a detailed inventory record of all project resources, including tracking any new additions, write-offs/disposals, movement across offices (and officers), tagging and periodic physical verifications.
- Managing office consumables. S/he will monitor the usage of supplies and consumables (toners/ stationery, etc.) ensuring these are expended judiciously and avoiding any stock-outs.
- Liaising with IT Consultant provider in coordinating the general maintenance of office equipment (printers, copiers, servers, etc.).
- Keep accurate Employee Equipment acknowledge forms and ensure that forms are correctly filed as part of the inventory list.
- Assist in the procurement and logistical functions of BUMMHI office in liaison with the Program Management/Logistics & Procurement Officer.
- Filing: Oversee the management, development and maintenance of a filing system in electronic and hard copy format for technical, financial and administrative documents.
- Physical Facilities: Assist in the management of the leasing and maintenance of Project offices.
- Any other duty that may be assigned to him/her by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, preferably with HR related accreditation and/or Business Administration.
- At least 5 years· experience in HRM and Administration functions in a reputable organization, preferably an NGO
- Excellent customer service skills
- Deep understanding of the Botswana employment and labor law practice environment
- Knowledge of USG Rules and Regulations will be a plus
- Basic understanding of accounting requirements is required
- Advanced Computer skills (At least intermediate proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite especially Excel and Word)
- Excellent writing, communication and negotiation skills
- Flexibility & Adaptability to multi task in an ever changing environment
- Excellent organization and coordination skills.
The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) works around the world to enhance capacity of governments and its partner institutions to improve quality of health services through targeted human capital development, systems development, and institutionalization of quality improvement initiatives.
Building on experience in more than 15 countries, UMB in Botswana through the Botswana University of Maryland School of Medicine Health Initiative (BUMMHI) has received funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to support the Ministry of Health (MOH) and its institutions at all levels of the healthcare system to improve quality of services focusing on HIV/AIDS care and treatment including training and Prevention-of-Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT) Option B+ program implementation.
Closing date and application instructions
- All applications should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
- Applications should include 3 references that are familiar with applicant’s work experience preferably in the last 5 years. References should include contact information including daytime phone and email address.
- All applications should include a cover letter that details one’s suitability for the job highlighting key functional areas, expected qualifications, and experiences.
- Candidates should attach a 3-page CV/Resume that highlights one’s key achievements in areas relevant to the job
- Job related stated qualifications and experience are the basic minimum requirements that each applicant must meet to be considered for interviewing.
- All applicants should include daytime phone contact information.
- Deadline for application is March 03, 2017, 5.00 PM Botswana Time. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- University of Maryland at Baltimore (UMB) is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of gender, ethnicity or any other status variable.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.