Job title: Project Manager, AVN Botswana
The University is looking for qualified and experienced individual for the below stated position;The position is based at BIUST Campus, Palapye. The position is offered on contract basis of up to 5 years.
OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR
PROJECT MANAGER, AVN BOTSWANA
(Botswana Radio Astronomy Observatory)
Main Purpose of the Job
- To plan, organize, direct, monitor and control all activities related to the African VLBI Network (AVN) project in Botswana especially during the design and construction phases.
- To plan, organize, direct, monitor and control suitable activities related to Human Capital Development and capacity building initiatives in Botswana with the aim to ensure a suitably trained Botswana team that could be the core staff of the observatory during regular operations and maintenance of the station when installed and ownership transferred to Botswana.
- To be the link between the Botswana project team, stakeholders and industry and the South African Project team.
- A minimum of Degree in an Engineering discipline related to telecommunication/ structural/ mechanical/ electronics technologies
- Diploma in Project Management
- Minimum experience of 10 years in engineering projects, managing all the aspects related to realization of electro-mechanical systems, plant or equipment on site, starting from concept phase to delivery and operations.
- A working knowledge of all engineering aspects of the establishment of infrastructure (geotechnical studies, power, water, roads etc.)
- Proven track record in general management activities and administration of state-funded engineering or other research and knowledge-intensive programmes
- Working knowledge of SHEQ laws and systems
Key Performance Areas * Understanding of Radio Astronomy (experience on telecommunications systems will also be considered)
- Working knowledge of System Engineering processes and practices
- Knowledge of project management tools and computer-based project systems e.g. MS Project and/or Primavera, Cost Track, etc
- Knowledge of project reporting methodology including Cash Flow, Cost-Time S curve, Earned Value.
- Exposure to a broad range of engineering disciplines and track record of having worked in Botswana industry.
The position requires the following Competencies/Skills:
- Ability to work in knowledge-intensive environments and manage projects with high R&D content
- Ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams on engineering projects
- Ability to achieve results in working with and interacting with academics and scientists at national and international level, often dispersed geographically
- Excellent report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships
- Ability to write excellent progress and other reports
- Negotiation skills
- Decisive insight
- Drive and energy
- Attention to detail
- Able to persevere in spite of setbacks
- Ability to think creatively and analytically
- Integrity and ethical conduct
- Ability to remain productive whilst travelling to (often remote) project locations
The University offers an attractive package, commensurate with qualification and experience.If you meet the requirements of the above stated position, please send your application letter, certified copies of educational certificates and a detailed Curriculum Vitae including at least two (2) recent professional referees to;Director, Human Resources at the email address below.For any further enquiries, you may call Ms Chakandinakira and Ms. Modise @ 493 1000NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.Closing date: March 22, 2019
Location: Palapye, Central District