To make sure that work is carried out to the client’s standards, specification and schedule. To make sure that the correct materials and workmanship are used and that the client is given quality work and value for money.
- Project Management
- Delivers required outcomes by working within an established project management plan.
- Project Management
- Data Collection & Analysis
- Works independently to collate and analyse data using pre-determined tools, methods and formats
- Produces accurate reports for others by collecting data from a variety of standard sources and inputting that data into standard format
- Availability of accurate and complete statistical data
Carries out prescribed internal and external client management activities and provides support to others by following existing procedures.
Improvement / Innovation
Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures, then uses established change management programs to deliver prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services
Safety, Health and Environment
- Operates in accordance with policies and rules, while performing routine safety checks on own equipment and workspace.
- Contributes to the development of risk assessments
- Participates in safety inspections and reports on findings to maintain safety of personnel and good housekeeping of the plant.
- Adherence to safety standards
- Site Inspections
- Accurate Progress Reports
- Reports progress or delays, any significant events including any serious deficiencies in safety and health.
- A recognized Diploma in Mechanical / Electrical / Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- A Project Management qualification will be an added advantage
- Must be registered with the Engineers Registration Board (within 12 months of appointment)
- A valid Class B Driver’s license (within 6 months of appointment)
At least three (3) post qualification experience in projects.
Experience in a power plant environment would be an added advantage
Must either be on site all the time or make regular visits. Needs to be vigilant in their inspections of a large range of technical aspects of the work. This involves:
>becoming familiar with all the relevant drawings and written instructions, checking them, and using them as a reference when inspecting the work
>making visual inspections. taking measurements and samples on site to make sure that the work and the materials meet the specifications and quality standards.
>being familiar with legal requirements and checking that the work complies with them.
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on sequencing and scheduling tasks into a project plan.
Can advise the contractors about certain aspects of the work, particularly if something has gone wrong. They can also agree to minor changes. They cannot, though, give advice that could be interpreted as an instruction, particularly if this would lead to additional expense.
Identifies, assesses, prioritizes and manages risks in a project without supervision and provides technical guidance.
They keep detailed records of various aspects of the work, which they put together in regular reports for the project Engineer and the client. Records include details of:
• progress and any delays • the number and type of workers employed • weather conditions • visitors to the site • drawings received • deliveries • instructions • details of any significant events including any serious deficiencies in health or safety performance observed while on site.
Applies understanding of the business environment and objectives to develop solutions without supervision, while also providing technical assistance when necessary.
Supports business processes without supervision by understanding and effectively using standard office equipment and standard software packages, while providing technical guidance as needed.
Data Collection & Analysis
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on analysing data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making.
Policy and Procedures
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on monitoring, interpreting and understanding policies and procedures, while making sure they meet organizational strategies and objectives.
Policy & Regulations
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on interpreting and applying knowledge of laws, regulations and policies in area of expertise.
Planning & Organizing
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on planning, organizing, prioritizing and overseeing activities to efficiently meet business objectives
Works without supervision and provides technical guidance as needed on delivering required services that meet quality standards.
Functions independently and with confidence in challenging situations. Specifically, expresses confidence in themselves; for example, expressing confidence in own ability or judgment.
Teamwork and Collaboration
Works cooperatively as part of a team and collaboratively with peers, internally and externally. Specifically, values others’ input; for example, actively bringing people together around a specific problem.
Responds to differences and changes in the internal or external context, taking a flexible approach to reach business outcomes. Specifically, tries new ways to do things; for example, coming up with alternative methods or ways of working.
Thinks through issues by separating out the parts of the problem or situation and thinking things through systematically. Applies judgement on the basis of evidence and reasoning. Specifically, sees multiple relationships; for example, identifying several likely causes or consequences of a situation.
Focuses on social responsibility and corporate citizenship. Pays attention to health safety, environmental and social issues. Specifically, monitors; for example, actively ensures that others meet corporate standards and compliance requirements.
Listening with Respect
Shows respect for others by seeking to understand their perspectives. Demonstrates positive regard for others, assuming that each person has unique capabilities. Specifically, digs deeper / asks questions; for example, picking up on others’ underlying concerns and drivers and asks questions to understand them.
Approach to Thinking
Thinks through situations of varying degrees of complexity and ambiguity, in order to understand them clearly. Specifically, sees basic relationships; for example, identifying simple cause and effect, or pros and cons.
Attention to Detail
Manages, tracks and attends to multiple pieces of information, bringing order and clarity. Specifically, monitors others’ work; for example, checking to ensure that procedures are followed.
Thinks through issues by seeing the pattern or big picture, brings facts and ideas together, and develops innovative or creative insights. Specifically, sees patterns or trends; for example, spotting recurring problems.
Drive for Results
Focuses on assessing, measuring and improving performance. Shows drive and determination to meet short- and long-term goals. Specifically, strives to meet challenging goals; for example, setting ambitious, but realistic goals for performance improvement (for self and/or own team).
A desire to know more and seek information to inform decisions. Specifically, gathers information; for example, personally observing situations to understand them.
Acts proactively to avoid problems or identifies and takes advantage of opportunities. Specifically, acts decisively; for example, taking resolute action in time-sensitive situations.
Identifies and meets the needs of internal and external customers, being continually focused on outcomes for customers. Specifically, communicates; for example, reporting back to customers on enquiries, or ensures that others do.
- Often works under extreme temperatures, heights, hazardous and dusty conditions
- Work under a demanding project environment
- Being available for emergency call-outs and required to work abnormal hours when required
- Adapting to technological advancements