Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 50,000 people with ground operations in five countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is soliciting CVs of applicants for positions in Botswana for an anticipated project supporting the Ministry of Health and Wellness on malaria elimination. The project will undertake a field validation exercise of remotely enumerated building data across six districts ahead of indoor residual spraying. All positions are based full-time in Botswana.
About the Position
Mapping Supervisors will lead HOT’s field data collection activities on the project in close coordination with the Associate Project Manager and Country Manager. This includes assisting with in-person training, providing into into the design of field data collection, and supervising the work of up to 5 surveyors.
- Support the Associate Project Manager/Trainer and Country Manager in organizing and facilitating OSM trainings, workshops, and awareness sessions
- Organize large-scale data collection campaigns in coordination with partner organizations
- Implement data collection forms using OpenDataKit Collect, OpenMapKit and other mobile data collection tools
- Provide technical guidance and expertise on participatory mapping and OpenStreetMap
- Supervise data collection in an entire district with a team of up to 5 surveyors
- Assist in project report writing and translation as necessary
- Communicate regularly with community members and partners regarding the mapping project and progress, and provide feedback dialogue with management team
- Submit progress reports as requested, and assist in producing project deliverables
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field with one year professional experience. In lieu of a completed degree, the candidate should have at least three years of relevant work experience
- Experience with OpenStreetMap tools, such JOSM and iD, QGIS
- Experience with mobile survey tools including OpenMapKit, OpenDataKit (ODK), Kobo Collect, Field Papers and X-form building
- Strong ICT and information management skills and eagerness/ability to learn new technologies
- Ability to collaborate with and take guidance from project leadership and staff
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills, including advanced written and spoken English
- Proven ability to work independently and complete deliverables with minimal supervision
- Able to travel 100%
Additional desirable skillsets:
- Experience working with GIS and other mapping platforms strongly preferred
- Experience in disaster response, open data or open source strongly desired
- Sector expertise in disaster risk reduction, public health, or water, sanitation, & hygiene
- Experience running training sessions, workshops or teaching
- Assignment on contractor basis. Salary determined by HOT pay scales.
- Botswana work authorization preferred. For applicants residing outside Botswana, HOT may consider providing housing costs on an exceptional basis.
- Food allowance and housing provided for all candidates while staying away from home.
Please complete the HOT application form and upload your resume and cover letter in a single file entitled- “First Name.Last Name”