Project Director needed to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for anticipated Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) project focusing on increasing access to and utilization of high quality, integrated, confidential, voluntary client- (VCT) and provider-initiated (PITC) HIV testing and counseling (HTC). The Project Director will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management of and reporting on the recipient’s activities, making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and program quality and integrity and serving as the recipient’s first point of interface with CDC on routine and strategic matters. This includes ensuring effective organizational management and communication interacting with other projects, host country governments at all levels, and international partners and agencies. This project will operate over a five-year period. These position is contingent upon award from CDC.
Botswana nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of HIV testing and counseling project and to achieve rapid and sustained project goals, objectives and targets
- Ensure compliance with the project award results and the oversight of project activities to achieve the stated objectives
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships and alliances with the Botswana Ministry of Health, CDC, as well as other USG implementing partners, private sector partners and other key stakeholders in Botswana to maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort
- Represent Jhpiego’s interests and present progress, achievements and lessons learned to key Botswana stakeholders including CDC and implementing partners in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership in the design, analysis, and synthesis of interventions
- Ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions particularly in the HIV testing and counseling and capacity building
- Participate in relevant technical advisory groups with counterparts and partner institutions
- Lead the annual work planning process in close collaboration with CDC, Botswana Ministry of Health, project team and project partners
- Oversee preparation of periodic project reports to donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Manage subgrantee partners if applicable
- Write and/or review technical components of materials and publications related to integrated health and its development
- Ensure resources for project implementation are available
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Work closely with Jhpiego headquarter office staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure compliance with CDC operational policies and regulations
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Advanced degree in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; MD preferred.
- Previous experience serving as Project Director, Deputy, or similar senior program management role
- 6+ years’ experience managing large, multi-year international health sector development projects (over $1M per year) that have implemented successful activities in HIV prevention, care and treatment in Southern Africa
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project management systems and overseeing project start-up
- Understanding of the Botswana social and political context, and developments in the health sector
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving program needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with Ministry of Health and other host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, the private sector and other donors.
- In-depth knowledge of CDC projects, regulations, compliance and reporting
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building and representational skills.
- Management, training and clinical background in HIV prevention, care and treatment, TB, and health systems strengthening
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying best practices and adapting them to project realities
- Previous experience working in Botswana, with intimate understanding of local health system and health systems strengthening, HIV care and treatment gaps and opportunities, and solid relationships at government agencies
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform