Project Officer EPA Facility Support Unit (FSU) in the SADC Trade Re-lated Facility project
|Posted on:||7 Sep, 2016|
|Application by:||15 Sep, 2016|
|Project Title:||Southern African Development Community (SADC) – Trade Related Facility (TRF)|
|Period of Project:||11/2014 – 09/2019|
|Duration of assignment:||10/2016 – 09/2019|
In a five year program (beginning 09/2014), the GFA is supporting the SADC Secretariat and SADC Member States to enhance the economic integration of the SADC region. The Trade Related Facility program aims to provide technical advice to implement the commitments made under the Protocol on Trade (STP) as well as the Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) with the European Union.
The STP is one of the two pillars of the economic integration of SADC that formulates the establishment of the FTA and it objects to eliminate import tariffs and non-tariff barriers (NTBs) in order to improve intra-regional trade. The negations on the EPAs foresee to ease trade between SADC and the EU but as they are protracted, they exacerbate the complexity of the regional integration process.
Therefore the TRF, firstly, it targets at supporting SADC economic integration initiatives for all SADC Member States within the context of their implementation of the SADC Trade Protocol and the SADC FTA (Window 1). Secondly, it targets at supporting SADC Member States who have signed the interim EPA or the full EPA or have commenced a process leading to signature/implementation of the interim-EPA (i-EPA)/EPA. The support focuses on implementing their obligations under the EPA /i-EPA (Window 2), incl. specific areas such as Trade Defence Instruments, Trade Related Adjustment, Competition Policy.
The application phase will be finalized beginning of 2017 and the future focus will lay in the implementation of the projects by the SADC Member States and the support by the FSU.
Assume responsibility for all activities falling under the EPA window (result area 2)
• Provide inputs into the annual and global work plans with respect to activities related to the EPA;
• Support the Team Leader in the implementation of the executive functions of the TRF, and especially with support to MS in the preparation of requests for financial support, evaluation of the applications (to a lower extent as most of the applications are already developed) and in particular monitoring of activities and the project implementa-tion at MS level, incl. implementation support, monitoring, field support, docu-mentation control
• Assist with the receipt and evaluation of applications;
• Work closely with the SADC TRF Project Officer (EPA) to develop and imple-ment systems to monitor the implementation progress of all EPA related sup-port provided under the TRF
• Identify capacity building needs in the area of the EPA and develop an appropriate ca-pacity building agenda and facilitate the provision of the capacity to the Member States with the aim to successfully implement the projects
• Prepare/contribute to periodic reports, such as Inception, Monthly, Semi-Annual and Final Reports according to the SADC Policy on Strategy Development, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (SPME) standards and schedules on the implementation of the EPA component of the TRF Programme;
• Ensure timely implementation of the activities under the TRF Programme in particular with respect to the SADC Trade Protocol;
• Review and update documentation relevant to the TRF Programme pertaining to the EPA;
• Contribute to the drafting of documents for technical, senior officials, Ministerial and other meetings;
• Contribute to the drafting of documents to ensure visibility, e.g. newsletters, publica-tions, according to SADC needs and EU visibility requirements;
• Documentation of the operational plan for the EPA component to implement the TRF activities agreed upon as well as development of indicators to monitor implementation progress against expected outputs
• Preparation of Terms of Reference for studies and consulting services;
• Other duties and tasks as may be requested by the Project Manager, Task Manager or Director of TIFI.
• Advanced university degree in Economics, Trade-Law, Business Administration or related fields or relevant professional experience of at least eight years above the general and specific professional experience required below
General Professional Experience and Skills:
Specific Professional Experience:
|CV-Form:||EU CV template|
|Contact Person:||Romy Rösner|