Title of Post: Protection Associate
Category and Level: GL6 (locally recruited)
Type of Vacancy: Internal/External
Type of Contract: Fixed Appointment
Vacancy number: PN 10024692
Closing date: 26 March 2017
• Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
• Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
• Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
• Provide advice on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
• Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for persons of concern.
• Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
• Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
• Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
• Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
• Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
• Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
• Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
• Contribute to effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems.
• Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
• Education: Completion of secondary school. Additional certificate/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
• Job experience: Relevant to the function: 6 years.
• Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
• Good computer skills and completed Protection Learning Programme is desirable.
Interested candidates are invited to send a motivation letter and a completed Personal History Form (or Fact Sheet, if internal) prior to the closing date of this vacancy to the address below. Please include the position title and vacancy number in the subject line.
Personal History Forms are available at www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc
Only short-listed candidates will be invited to sit for a written test and upon passing the test, will be called for interview.