Bryte Risk Services is the premier, proactive commercial risk specialist in Botswana. Applying our unparalleled sector insights, proven expertise and foresight, we partner with customers and brokers to protect their businesses and improve their risk profile across the continent. Bryte Risk Services approaches customer risk with purpose, proactively working with brokers and customers to enable better risk decisions.
You will be based at our offices in Gaborone and will require a driver’s licence to travel to the various sites.
As an insurance risk surveyor you’ll need to:
- undertake commercial and personal surveys
- collate and assess risk information on site
- use templates to record assessments and collect photographic evidence
- prepare detailed reports and presentations for underwriters
- make recommendations to underwriters about required improvements
- advise clients on-site and discuss opportunities and requirements to reduce the risk of future insurance claims
- allocate quality grades to the client once improvements have been completed
- accompany underwriters on site visits to help them understand the practicalities of the site
- liaise with other professionals such as underwriters, brokers, clients’ representatives, inspectors of health and safety, and fire officers
- work with the risk control team and other departments to maintain technical knowledge and standards within the business
- keep up to date with technical aspects affecting risks, e.g. trade processes, legislation and hazardous materials
- develop the business and maintain the professional reputation of the company with brokers and clients.
Education and Experience
- A degree in Engineering or any other related discipline
- 2 years experience as a risk surveyor or similar experience within the engineering field
- excellent interpersonal skills in order to develop a rapport with people from a variety of backgrounds and to communicate effectively with site workers, managing directors, insurance company colleagues and brokers
- negotiating and influencing skills with the ability to handle occasional conflict situations
- the ability to inspire confidence in clients and to persuade clients of the need to implement the advice given to reduce risk
- the aptitude to investigate and assess technical risks and to retain large amounts of technical knowledge
- an eye for detail
- strong organisational, planning and time management skills
- the ability to work alone and as part of a team
- the capacity to complete projects and keep to deadlines
- a motivated, results-driven approach
- the ability to use appropriate technical equipment, e.g. survey templates and digital photographic equipment
- a flexible approach for dealing with changes in working methods and techniques
- report writing and presentation skills
- IT skills.