REF 4/2017- LEGAL SERVICES & BOARD SECRETARY
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
– Delivery of Organisation’s legal obligations and Board secretarial services to promote good corporate governance and administration of Board’s affair
– The position reports directly to the statistician General.
– Ensure that governance rules, regulations, procedures, code of conduct and relevant state laws are complied with.
– Develop, maintain and update contracts for the procurement of goods, works and services and represents Statistics Botswana in relevant contracts negotiations.
– Develop and ensure that Statistics Botswana complies with its Memorandum of Agreements and Articles of Associations and drafting and incorporating amendments in accordance with correct procedures.
– Keep up to date with relevant legal, statutory and regulatory requirements.
– Provide impartial legal advice and support to the Board and management of Statistics Botswana.
– Provide legal advice to safeguard and protect the rights and interest of Statistics Botswana.
– Keep Statistics Botswana informed of corporate legal responsibilities.
– Assist the Statistician General and all Directors in legal matters pertaining to Statistics Botswana, including affairs of labour disputes, property management, insurance, criminal and civil proceedings.
– Render professional legal advice to the Statistician General for any proposed legal action to be initiated and/or defend the interests of the Statistics Botswana.
– Prepare legal briefs for the initiation of legal action.
– Advise the Board Members in corporate and legal affairs.
– Train, mentor Staff on legal services relevant to Statistics Botswana.
– Ensure that Board Committees are properly constituted and provided with clear Terms of Reference.
– Serve as Secretary during periodic and special meetings of the Board and Committees of Statistics Botswana and ensures that all meetings are minuted.
– Ensure swift implementation of the decisions of the Board and Committees.
Management and service delivery
– Develop, review and ensure implementation of the relevant policy and strategy for the
conduct of the Organisation mandate.
– Provide input into strategic plans and policies development.
– Participate as a member of the Executive Management Team and of key corporate
organs such as the Statistics Botswana Tender Committee, Pension Fund and Training
and Development Committee.
– Coordinate submission of timely replies to parliamentary questions.
– Undertake any other duties as may be delegated by the Statistician General or Board.
Board Secretary Issues
– Ensure compliance with established procedures for the conduct of Board meetings.
– At least a post graduate degree in Law from a recognised University.
– At least 10 years of legal experience post-qualification. These must include 4(four) years’ experience as a Corporate Secretary at a managerial level.
– Experience of working in a large business organization will be an added advantage.
– Good understanding and comprehension of the legal provisions enacted by Government of Botswana
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Leadership skills
– Problem solving and decision making skills
– Negotiation skills
– Team building, leadership and motivation
– People management and interpersonal skills
– Planning, organising, budgeting and resource management
– Results oriented and performance driven
– Service oriented and client focus
– Creativity, innovation, flexibility and analytical thinking
– Communication, influence, impact, and relationship building
– Decisiveness and assertiveness
Statistics Botswana offers an attractive and competitive package.
CLOSING DATE: 27 November 2017
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Prospective candidates meeting the above requirements should quote the reference number of the position and submit applications together with comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of Certificates, ID and names and addresses of two referees to:
Private Bag 0024
Or hand deliver to;
Corporate Services – 4th Floor
Or email to; firstname.lastname@example.org