SUMMARY OF ROLE
IntraHealth International is a sub-partner on the recently awarded USAID-funded Botswana Comprehensive Care and Support for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) Project. The five year project’s goal is to strengthen community agency to seek, support and provide HIV/AIDS-related services to OVC and their family members. Project Concern International is the prime. As a sub partner, IntraHealth International will be providing technical expertise to the Department of Social Protection (DSP) at the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development (MLGRD) in the areas of OVC, child protection, and social workforce strengthening. The Senior Social Workforce Technical Technical Advisor will be seconded to the Department of Social Protection. Within the project, the Senior Social Workforce Technical Advisor will report to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position will have technical oversight and administrative management from within IntraHealth International headquarters.
The mechanism for this position will be a consultant contract through IntraHealth International headquarters.
Working closely with the Department of Social Protection, the staff member will be responsible for the following:
- Provide high-level technical expertise to the DSP in areas related to social protection, OVC and HIV sensitive child protection to help support policy and service delivery
- Assist the DSP to critically review the existing social protection targeting practice and tools of the government and to analyze social protection targeting practices from throughout the region and to revise and adapt an effective tool
- Stay abreast of the latest innovations and good practice to bring lessons and good practice from the region and abroad regarding OVC, child protection and child-friendly social protection to the DSP
- Build the capacity of the DSP staff to apply data for decision making, policy and budget allocations to respond to the needs of families with OVC
- Assist the MLGRD to review and strengthen various systems components related to the social workforce including training, supervision, case management systems, workforce size and other areas
- Assist the DSP to identify and harness opportunities to further their mandate and reach through partnerships with multi and bilateral donors, embassies, foundations and other members of civil society
- Provide proactive support to the DSP to achieve the project goals related to the MLGRD and the DSP
- Master’s in Social Work or other equivalent and 8 years of progressive technical experience in issues of OVC and child protection highly preferred (or a Bachelor’s in a relevant area of study and 12 years of related experience.)
- Strong working knowledge of government systems and the policy environment for vulnerable children and child protection required
- Technical expertise in the field of social work required with sound technical knowledge in one of the following: HIV sensitive child protection or social protection is required.
- Ability to work effectively in Government and create positive action within the DSP
- Good communication, negotiation and diplomacy skills
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1.