Lucara Diamond Corp. A TSX, Swedish and Botswana stock exchange listed Diamond mining company and the 100% owner of Boteti Mining (Pty) Ltd and the Karowe Diamond Mine, seeks to recruit an Underground Study Manager at the Karowe mine site. Karowe mine was commissioned in 2012 and has recovered $1bn of diamonds to date. The company is expected to process between 2.2 and 2.4 million tonnes of ore this year and to produce over 350,000 carats of diamonds. The company has successfully commissioned two significant capital projects, the +4-8 X- Ray Transmission (XRT) sorting technology and the Mega Diamond Recovery system.
Karowe mines’ life of mine runs to 2026 with surface mining. A feasibility study is underway on an underground extension to extend its mine life by a further 8 – 10 years. The Underground Study Manager is required on a one year fixed term contract.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Underground Study Manager is responsible for directing the underground expansion study project through external consultants as well as ensuring that the mine continues to achieve the highest standards of open pit mining at Karowe mine. The incumbent will provide assurance of the sustainability of the mining operations as well as ensuring timely development of the Karowe underground operation through the development of eff ective processes and controls.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Underground Study Manager is the lead Mining Technical expert within the company and is responsible for ensuring Lucara’s ongoing excellence in mining practices through:
Leading the underground development project as Lucara’s owner’s representative through:
- Auditable selection process of a contractor to complete the pre – feasibility followed by the
- Holding the contract company to be appointed to account for on time, on budget and safe
delivery of the underground project.
- Provision of technical oversight and responsibility for Lucara mining operational performance KPIs.
- Provide technical leadership to Karowe mine management particularly through the transition to a new underground mining contractor as well as completing on mine capital projects.
- Lead the mine to mill initiative to ensure optimum operation of Karowe mine.
- Foster a culture of excellence and continuous improvement amongst the team to harness world class health and safety performance standards that the company has achieved so far and cascade these to other areas of the mine.
- Identify relevant operational benchmarks from across the mining industry.
- Contribute to appropriate operations organizational structures to support the achievement of company plans and strategies.
- Drive mining operational best practices and ensure that the business fully optimizes its mineral reserve through a value (as opposed to volume) based approach to diamond mining.
- Liaison with research and development institutes and other centers of excellence with respect to utilization of specialist skills and knowledge to gain competitive edge and position the company as the industry leader in diamond mining technology application.
- Selection, training and development of senior mining technical staff within the organization.
- Extensive travel to the mine and contractor offi ces will be required.
Minimum Education or Qualifications:
- Degree in Mining Engineering.
- Team player and able to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally.
- Self-starter able to quickly identify, analyze and remedy technical and commercial problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership qualities
Key Skills and Experience:
- Fifteen (15) years mining management experience in both open pit and underground mining environment.
- Thorough and demonstrable experience in transition from open pit to underground mining through the various mining life – cycles, from conceptualization through to construction and commissioning.
- Sound knowledge and experience with mine planning software such as Minesight, AutoCAD, GEMS,
- Mine-2-4D and / or other mine development software.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of mining resource revenue optimization and operational cost drivers.
- Previous experience of leading mining operations in Continental Africa would be a distinct advantage
- Previous experience in diamond mining will be an added advantage
Only candidates who meet the above requirements need apply enclosing detailed curriculum vitae and certified copies of certificates to: email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be responded to.
Closing Date: Monday, 4 December, 2017