- Reporting to the Chief Mining Engineer, the senior ventilation/infrastructure/backfill engineer is required to oversee all ventilation, underground infrastructure, and backfilling engineering activities and ensure compliance with international best practices and regulatory codes.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Coordinate, manage, and develop a team of ventilation and backfill engineers, with shared responsibility for underground infrastructure projects;
- Coordinate and manage the development of scopes of works for underground infrastructure establishment and extension including power (HV backbone), dewatering, mine services (compressed air, mine water, dewatering), ventilation, backfill infrastructure, underground lunch rooms, underground refuelling and servicing bays, underground stores, monitoring systems, and communication systems as required;
- Ensure effective liaison and collaboration with other responsible departments including Engineering (Electrical and Fixed plant) and others to ensure compliance to required design standards, quality of installation, and execution in a timeous and cost-effective manner according to the mine plan’s requirements;
- Ensure that the primary ventilation systems (including air cooling) and secondary ventilation systems are adequately managed to ensure that sufficient airflow and cooling capacity is provided to the underground mine and working areas to meet statutory and/or international standards for safe underground work environments;
- Ensure that ventilation surveys (both primary and secondary), audits, and underground inspections are completed and reported to a high standard ensuring compliance to statutory requirements in terms of frequency of the surveys;
- Complete reports (ventilation, infrastructure, backfill) or otherwise under area of responsibility for internal or Governmental departments as required by law;
- Ensure that secondary ventilation layout plans are completed in a timeous manner to ensure a safe place of work is provided at all ‘dead-end’ headings;
- Ensure that an up to date ventilation model is maintained and always available;
- Coordinate between backfill plant and mining operations to meet a backfill schedule that satisfies the mine’s production requirements;
- Ensure backfill designs are reviewed and signed off by geotechnical persons and that any recommendations are incorporated;
- Manage and coordinate the design of and construction works for the backfill reticulation system;
- Coordinate the Drafting of scopes of work for capital projects required to upgrade the backfill reticulation system;
- Manage contractors and mine employees to implement the scopes of work;
- Ensure safe backfilling of longhole stopes including the development and improvement of systems of work and procedures;
- Design and implement drainage systems to manage water from backfilling where required;
- Monitor the backfill quality and ensure corrective actions are implemented where deviations are noted;
- Analyse any downtime trends to ensure consistent end-product at consistent placement rates;
- Coordinate Reticulation and bulkhead design and quality control of construction;
- Complete regular underground inspections and infrastructure quality control works;
- Co-ordinate and communicate effectively with other site technical, operational, support, and managerial teams;
- Provide input and guidance into the Development of short term, medium term, and Life of Mine plans;
- Contribute to Budgeting and cost control processes;
- Manage contractors in the execution of the work and projects;
- Coordinate monthly safety inspections and task observations; and
- Ensure all ventilation, infrastructure, and backfill data is safely stored and organised.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- BEng or BSc degree in Engineering (Mining, Civil, or Mechanical) will be considered;
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience in a similar role in underground mechanised hard rock mine operations;
Compliments of the New Year to all Jobs Botswana Subscribers.
Get your CV and Cover letter done for P100.
Pay with Orange Money on number 76981238 or EWallet to 76981238
Contact us on Whatsapp - 76981238. (Only WhatsApp)
CLICK LINK BELOW TO CHAT DIRECT ON WHATSAPP
- Registered with the Engineers Registration Board (ERB) of Botswana;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in the ventilation, underground infrastructure (electrical and pumping), and backfill design and engineering (including the ability to complete calculations were required);
- Experience in the design and implementation of ventilation, underground infrastructure, and backfill projects;
- Relevant mine design software experience;
- Proven people management skills, including a willingness and ability to effectively communicate and transfer skills and understanding;
- Proven experience in preparing detailed scopes of work, cost estimates, and preparation of capital expenditure requests;
- Ability to produce clear and concise work instructions;
- A solid understanding of electrical and fixed plant maintenance practices;
- Proven contractor management skills;
- Demonstrated planning, analytical, report writing and communication skills;
- High level administrative skills, including the ability to meet deadlines;
- Attention to detail with excellent organisational skills;
- Proficient use of 3D mining software and the MS Office suite; and
- Ability to draft in CAD programs would be advantageous.
Only candidates who meet the above requirements can apply to www.jobsbw.com and must attach CV. academic qualifications and references. Please note that the company will only enter into correspondence with shortlisted candidates.
Closing date 1 May 2018.