To provide a high quality, safe and supportive environment by implementing primary health care, accidents and emergency care as well as occupational health programmes for the Corporation’s employees and contractors in order to maintain a healthy workforce thereby enhancing productivity.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities ( Position Outputs) :
- Implement Occupational Health Standards and procedures to ensure statutory and legal compliance.
- Monitors that the occupational health clinic is adequately stocked with equipment and necessary medical supplies for provision of uninterrupted service to clients
- Implements Primary Health programme and procedures for the Power stations in line with national protocols to ensure effective patient management.
- Implements and maintains the occupational health programme in accordance with occupational health standards by facilitating pre-employment, periodic and exit medical examinations for early detection and monitoring of occupation related conditions.
- Conducts Audiometric and Spirometry tests for early detection and monitoring of hearing loss and occupational lung disease
- Complies with SHER policies and procedures in all activities undertaken in order to minimise unsafe incidents and accidents.
- Observes and adheres to infection control standards and procedures to prevent nosocomial infections
- Observes and adheres to clinical waste management procedures to ensure safe handling and disposal.
- Treats minor ailments and injuries; refers and escorts more serious cases to other health care facilities in order to promote recovery of the employee and reduce abseentism.
- Prescribes and dispenses medicines following laid down drug prescription and dispensing protocols or refer to the medical officer as appropriate
- Maintains liaisons with other health practitioners for post illness confinement and follow ups
- Maintains all patient and stock records, at clinic to ensure confidentiality and legal compliance,
- Undertaking in SHERQ audits pertaining to Occupational Hygiene of buildings and facilities to ensure that the highest possible standards of health and hygiene are maintained.
- Conducts promotion of occupational health and safety through information education, and communication to empower employees and enable them to make informed decisions.
- Follows up on rehabilitation of vulnerable groups i.e. Workers on treatment for chronic conditions on hospital admission and home based care to monitor health status and provide advise.
- Facilitates wellness activities for the staff during health promotion campaigns (e.g. Wellness day) to promote good health practices and behaviour
- Distributes condoms to the Peer Educators in their departments in order to ensure easy access by all employees.
- Conducts counselling including, HIV/AIDS counselling to enable employees to make informed decisions,
- Conducts HIV/AIDS health education to the workforce to promote awareness of the prevention and predisposing factors
- Undertakes any other related duties as directed by the supervisor
Undertakes Such Other Related Duties as Directed by the Supervisor
- Minimum Diploma in General nursing
- Background in Occupational Health will be an added advantage
- Must be registered with Botswana Nursing and Midwifery Council and holding a current practising license.
- A minimum of three (3) years post qualification experience; two of which will have been served as a registered nurse.
- At least one year in an industrial environment.
- Communication Skills
- Counselling Skills
- Diagnostic skills
- Treatment of minor ailments and injuries
- Basic Life Support for Health Professionals
- Critical thinking
- Emergency response skills
- Planning organising and coordination skills
- Report writing skills
- Basic computer skills
- Service oriented
- High risk activity area i.e. Power Plant
- Emergency preparedness (e.g. reporting procedures, communications, professionalism and effectiveness.)
- Communicating and caring for distressed clients
- Exposure to body fluids and needle stick injuries
- Changing people’s attitudes and behaviour towards positive Primary Health and Occupational Health safety and risk free social behaviour.