About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities & Our Ideal Candidate
The role is responsible for driving the growth of Retail Deposits and Mortgage Products in line with Botswana RB strategy, and driving the profitability of the product portfolios. These responsibilities include defining overall financial and non-financial targets and ensuring alignment of those targets in line with country priorities. The role also covers delivering process management tools and techniques, redesign processes with the goal that SCB Retail banking processes become best in class, define and manage initiatives for process design including project management for specific initiatives. The role also oversees risks of the critical processes, establish treatment plans & manage risk to below Group and country risk appetite
The role will manage the P&L of deposits and mortgages products including:
• Deliver revenue targets for deposits and mortgages
• Deliver deposits and mortgages balance sheet targets
• Maintain costs in line with set targets
• Contribute to the operating profit of the Botswana Retail business
The role holder will:
• In collaboration with Head, Retail Banking, define overall performance standards and KPIs for Deposits and Mortgages
• Deliver sales targets of Employee Banking, deposits and mortgages, and product acquisition through sales teams
• Drive relevant productivity metrics of the segment sales team in line with Retail Banking priorities
• Manage leverage of sales teams
• Ensure that effective account planning and leads conversion processes, and robust pipeline management are in place for sales teams
• Develop and design frontline performance scorecards to drive business growth and RB strategic priorities
• Identify and execute strategic and tactical actions to drive growth of deposit and mortgage product portfolios
The role holder is accountable for setting standards for Deposits and Mortgages in respect of client segment strategies including delivering a best-in-class product proposition across all target segments to drive usage and establish our position as the preferred aspiring/affluent brand. The role holder is will additionally:
• Lead and manage product development and maintenance for Retail Deposits and Mortgages products in line with the overall RB strategy
• Ensure the delivery of an appropriate deposit mix of payroll, CASA, TD in the portfolio
• Manage funding costs by developing and operating appropriate pricing tools and processes across retail
• Ownership of Country Product Program, alignment of CAs and overall governance; renewal and maintenance of the CAs
• Work with segments team to identify key target segments for Retail Deposits and Mortgage products with the aim to delivery best-in-market Customer Value Propositions (CVP)
• Support new product and proposition development in coordination with Group and segment teams
• Support balanced growth by setting portfolio standards and providing lifecycle portfolio management tools (from on-boarding to retention)
• Drive and facilitate the digitization agenda for Deposits and Mortgages
• Identify key gaps in product CVPs and develop plans to bridge the gaps
• Ensure compliance to all operational risk policies and adherence to regulations when developing and managing key products and propositions
• Review & implement process changes, controls & control monitors as per ORF
• Ensure country is aligned to product Global Process Standards and Global Process Instructions
The role holder is responsible for defining and managing the delivery of new capabilities. This will also include:
• Manage all processes where a member of the Deposits and Mortgages team is the identified process owner and continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of processes. In addition, ensure effective management of associated risks within the function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations. This includes activities which are carried out by other businesses or functions or which are hubbed or outsourced.
• Accountable to risk control owners and/or Group policy owners for the implementation of policies and control standards set by them, ensuring compliance and operating within risk tolerance and risk appetite and building a culture of good conduct.
• Collaborate with regional and Group stakeholders to identify, prioritize & design processes with an objective for digitization, simplification, rationalization & standardization and deliver process mapping, documentation & standards for required processes for Deposits and Mortgages Products.
• Deliver a framework for process management to track effectiveness and efficiencies.
People and Talent
• Provide tools and training support to sales teams to deliver performance targets and manage the portfolio
• Ensure ongoing sales performance management of teams and provide drive productivity
• Manage team attrition, ring-fence top performers
• Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with partners.
• Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles including effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
• Employ, engage and retain high quality people.
• Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for the team and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
Regulatory & Business Conduct
• Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
• Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
• Lead the Retail Deposit and Mortgage team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
• Develop standards for deposits and mortgage products, ensure risks are identified and managed; adopt best practices across the product life cycle
• Ensure a robust Risk & Control environment through establishing strong security and controls. This includes identifying key risks, issues and interdependencies, and ensure mitigants are in place.
• Identify weaknesses across the E2E Retail Product risk and control environment and drive rectification and ensure adequate and appropriate systems and controls are compliant with Group and Business policies, procedures, and standards.
• Develop and implement clear structures of accountability to ensure team members are successful in their roles and there is clear oversight / supervision / decision making.
• Maintain an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Bank operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
• Responsible for delivering effective governance; capability to challenge effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
• Head, Retail Banking, Botswana
• Head, Priority and Premium Segments, Botswana
• Head, Digital Banking, Botswana
• Head, CEPG, Botswana
• Botswana Retail Banking Management Team
• Retail Products and Segments group
• ITO, Compliance, and other relevant support functions
• Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values across Retail Bank
• Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Interested candidates who believe they have what it takes are advised to apply online to the following address:
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to
Closing Date: 30th June 2019